Thursday, July 14, 2016

Walking is the new black

After waiting forever to cross a road today, I decided that a city which is not walkable is not liveable, period.


The Highline, Manhattan

Study after study shows that walking is simply the best-bar-none thing we can do - physically and mentally.

And a well-canopied urban forest is a huge contributor to whether we reach for the keys or the joggers - especially in hot climates like ours.

"Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Everyday I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it. But by sitting still - and the more one sits still - the closer one comes to feeling ill."

Soren Kierkgaard
(1813 - 1855)

No comments:

Post a Comment