Friday, July 1, 2016

Purple patch

Sometimes you find a precinct where everything just seems to grow better.


I noticed that around the Kirwan St cafe in Floreat this morning.


This huge (1.2m wide trunk!) Spotted Gum (Corymbia maculata) would have to be the healthiest one I've seen.

Look at that full crown!




















And this Queensland Box (Lophostemon confertus) looked fake it was so lush.
















Even this trusty old Mirror Bush (Coprosma bauerii) looked like it had just had a fresh coat of clear lacquer*.











Why does this happen?

There were two clues I noticed as I walked around.

Firstly, every other house seemed to have a bore (groundwater well) and it was high-iron content judging from the red stain on everything**.

But secondly, I noticed this...


Now, if you live in an area with clayey loam soils, this doesn't look very exciting but trust me, if you live on the Perth sand plain, you will recognise immediately: this is GOOD SOIL!









And that's what happens sometimes. You find yourself living in a spot where several favourable conditions converge*** and the vegetation responds accordingly.

Half your luck, I say!


_________________________________________________________________________________
* The photo doesn't do it justice. I actually went up and touched it to make sure someone wasn't having a lend of me(!) It was the healthiest, shiniest one I've ever seen. Really something.

** It might have been slightly acidic too, counteracting the naturally alkaline soil.

*** A third factor is probably that the area is low lying and gets a bit of protection from the Perth sea cyclone breeze

No comments:

Post a Comment