Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A Reader Said (24)



I received an email from a reader who was concerned about limb failures on Flame trees (Erythrina x sykesii) in his area and wondered if previous pruning practices were to blame.

I went and had a look at the streets involved and sent the following reply:





Hi ________

You're spot on - that's exactly what is causing the problems. 

The trees have been pollarded over the years - even the ones on the non-wired side of the street - and are now vulnerable to snap outs. 

This doesn't mean the council should stop using this species! Flame trees planted from now on won't be pruned this way and will be fine. 

What to do about the existing ones that have been pollarded? Manage them better. I had exactly the same problem at Claremont in Renown St. However I wasn't willing to just take them all out so handed their care to Arbor Centre who started a special 5 year pruning program to gradually improve the trees' form and lighten loads on vulnerable limbs and the incidence of limb failures dropped dramatically. It cost a bit but was well worth it for the final result. 

Your council doesn't have a lot of affected streets so it is well worth spending the extra to keep these trees going. Having said that, some of the trees will probably be write-offs but Arbor Centre will advise that. (I wouldn't entrust this to anyone other than Arbor Centre by the way. I have no affiliation with them, I just think they are the best at understanding what needs to be done in these situations).

Your email said that "these trees are receiving lots of attention already". From what I saw today, I would suggest it's just not quite the right attention at present. 

Regards,

Grayden 

No comments:

Post a Comment