Wednesday, June 15, 2016

What we're up against

A friend in the Hills was telling me the other day about his neighbours.




Not the house in question - "for illustrative purposes only" ;)


"They prune all their trees to stumps and go round picking leaves off the lawn that have blown in from other properties".

"Why would you live in the Hills if that's your attitude?" I said.






"But wait, there's more" he said. "The other day they were even picking leaves off their mulched areas!"

Oh boy. That, combined with what I saw in another new subdivision yesterday, and I'm starting to wonder if we haven't already lost the hearts and minds in Perth.

What do you think? Is there hope? Please tell me there's hope.

2 comments:

  1. Yes there is hope! This neatness epidemic is sweeping much of Australia at the moment, but there are other trends and currents happening too, including a move back towards natural gardens and gardening for biodiversity.

    I'm not sure what can be done about the 'neat freaks' but I reckon a fair part of the challenge is to get though to the design and architecture magazines that are presenting this sterile denuded look. Another part is reaching out to schools and educating the next generation that variety, mess, bush, and and randomness are positive values.

    Hard work I know, but I can see a few positive steps here where I am on the NSW south coast and hope you'll see some too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly like your comments about targeting kids. Getting to the young is definitely the way to achieve lasting culture change - in any field!

      Delete