Monday, June 20, 2016

NIMBYism*

I received an email from someone who said that, when asked by their council, the residents of his city identified trees as their No.1 priority. 


Manhattan, New York

This is very encouraging - although sometimes the residents' enthusiasm comes with the unstated qualifier, "as long as it doesn't inconvenience me or put my rates up"(!)

We're all guilty of that to some extent I guess - ie sometimes our principles are only as deep as our pockets ;)

Hopefully though we're all gradually coming to accept that yes, there is cost associated with trees and also "inconvenience" at times, but the extraordinary benefits they provide us - and all the other creatures we share this amazing planet with - far outweigh any "negatives"**.

___________________________________________________________________________________
* Not In My Backyard

** I say "negatives" because we can actually learn to see many of these as positives if we adjust our thinking (and our landscapes) a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment