Saturday, February 6, 2016

Tough nuts

John XXlll Ave, Mt Claremont (click to enlarge)

Is there a tougher tree than a She-oak (Casuarina sp.)?

They rarely get used as street trees because of their unsociable habits* but here in John XXlll Ave, Mt Claremont they work a treat. It's a through road - horse paddocks on one side, works depot on the other - so there's really no-one to offend.





They're planted close too - about 8m - which makes for a very striking effect.

As I said in an earlier post, there's no tree we should "black ban" because there's nearly always an application where they come into their own.

BTW…did you notice I didn't say what species these are? That's because I don't know. I should - I've been told often enough. Someone will enlighten me (again) I'm sure.

_____________________________________________________________________________
* Casuarinas shed vast amounts of "needles" (leaves). It's actually a bonus here because the verges are so sandy (free mulch). They also have vigorous root systems which can damage roads and kerbs. They're doing it here a bit but no-one really seems to mind in this location. Finally, they cast a very dense shade which is not ideal in a residential street but again, here, who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment