Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Respect your elders

One of the presentations that had a big impact on me at the Urban Tree Diversity conference in Melbourne was the one by Jan Allen from the Veteran Tree Group. No, they're not a bunch of old geezers - "veteran" refers to the trees :)

As Parks and Gardens managers, we're trained to think of trees as "mature", "post-mature", then "removed". But Jan opened my eyes to another possibility: leaving these trees well into the "ancient" phase of their lives and learning to appreciate the special grace of it. There are management issues around this, no question, and sometimes it simply won't be possible to keep them, but Jan showed us there are also often innovative things we can do that allow these old timers to remain in our midst and continue teaching us something about life. I'm certainly going to be more on the lookout for such opportunities from now on.

I'm also going to join the Veteran Tree Group.

I encourage you to do the same.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Grayden, I am glad you took away some positive messages from the presentation. It is great to have your feedback and support for our precious old trees.

    ReplyDelete