Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Poinciana, you beauty!


Poinciana in Daglish Rd, Wembley (click to enlarge)

The tree of the times here in Perth is without doubt the Poinciana (Delonix regia).

For decades we in the Parks industry didn't use it "because it's too slow".

It isn't - as we're discovering now. It's fast in fact. And consistent. And long-lived!




And to top it off, it would have to be the most beautiful flowering tree in the world, wouldn't it?

The only thing to bear in mind is that they produce a very broad canopy, so make sure you give them plenty of room. Other than that they're pretty much fool-proof.

I reckon they're a good replacement for the lookalike Jacaranda as they don't get chlorotic in our alkaline sand.

I just wish we had twigged to them sooner!

2 comments:

  1. Once upon a time, when I was doing it a little bit better than I am now, I had two adjacent properties in Mt Hawthorn. I actually bought a relatively advanced (and yes, expensive) poinciana for the one I was renting out, and a much smaller and cheaper one ($25-30) for my back yard. The smaller one probably got more attention that the other one, but was past it in 2-3 years and something to be proud of in 5-6. It was fast-growing, and there are enough established ones in Perth to know that they can make the grade just about anywhere. I've since moved to Cambridge, when council have just (mid-2015) provided Jacarandahs for my street where no verge trees are present. Why not Poincianas?!! *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you brother! (or sister :)) Poincianas eats Jacarandas for breakfast on the Perth sand plain. And as you say, they do it pretty much all over. I live by the coast and am astonished to see how well they're doing even in that harsh environment. Its also a good point you make about smaller specimens often overtaking larger ones. This is a very common experience and argues well for just having a bit of early patience and getting a better long term result. I'm currently in discussion with Cambridge about their street tree program - ie suggesting it could do with a bit of a review. I'll post some more about this later.

      Delete