Thursday, February 11, 2016

Not fair!

In an earlier post I bemoaned the performance of Jacarandas on the Perth sand plain. My thoughts were only reinforced by what I saw in Adelaide today.


This young Jacaranda was one of many in a new housing estate north of the city.

They all looked pretty much like this - a nice, healthy dark green. 

Around the corner I discovered the reason why…













This is the natural soil in the area.

A bit different to Perth sand! 

It would interesting to know what the pH is…nowhere near as alkaline as our chlorosis-inducing sand I'm betting.

It can be a tough thing to accept the limitations of your site when you love plants but we have to if we want robust streetscapes.



I guess I'll just have to drive to the Hills for my Jacaranda fix...

No comments:

Post a Comment