Sunday, February 21, 2016

Diversifying Perth's urban forest - harder than elsewhere?


Robinia "Frisia' in my hotel courtyard

In Melbourne tonight for two days of Urban Tree Diversity conference. Looking forward to it. Good international (and local) speakers, good practical topics.

Something that hits me every time I come to Melbourne is how green and healthy the trees look compared to the same species growing on the Perth sand plain. Even this Robinia pseudoacacia "Frisia" for example. They look pretty good in Perth but not this good.

It makes me realise that we really do have a pretty limited palette to work with in our incredibly tough conditions.

More to say about this after listening to what people here have to say over the next couple of days I'm sure...




No comments:

Post a Comment