Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Conference wash up (7)


I want to single out this comment from the list below:

"Trees are a means to an end"
Anne Jaluzot, Trees and Design Action Group (UK)

It seems to me that this thinking is "the next level" we have to get to….ie we have to learn to be less emotional about trees and a bit more clinical.

Making this shift can be difficult - trees are wonderful things - but we have to remember they're "things" and not anthropomorphize them. I think it's a shift we have to make if we're to create an urban forest canopy that truly works. It's the shift of seeing trees as "green infrastructure", a shift away from personal favourites, a shift from ideology to reality.

All this doesn't mean we have to stop loving trees - far from it - it just means we have to not let emotion control our decision making. We have to do what's best for the big picture even though it might be personally painful at times. We do this all the time when we raise children for example.

For me, this is the real benefit of going to conferences like Melbourne - it broadens your thinking. And coming from Perth, Western Australia, the most isolated capital city in the world, I reckon this is pretty important.

If I get the opportunity to go to the next one - possibly Canada - I'm there!

No comments:

Post a Comment