Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Reader Said (6)

A resident of Joseph St, West Leederville saw this post from last Friday and contacted me to say that she loved her avenue of Flame trees but felt they weren't receiving enough care.

Flame trees* (Erythrina x sykesii) are extremely resilient street trees but do need a bit of special care to keep them in good condition. Especially if they've previously been lopped. It's not arduous management - just a bit of structural pruning now and then to improve their form and manage the load on their limbs (reduces the likelihood of splits) - but it can have a huge impact on their longevity.


Renown Ave, Claremont (click to enlarge)

I was responsible for this avenue of Flame trees in Renown Ave, Claremont when I was Manager Parks and Environment there. I put them under the care of Arbor Centre ** and am pleased to see they're still looking after them.



_________________________________________________________________________________
* In Western Australia, "Flame tree" can refer to either Erythrina OR Brachychiton. I know, I know…

** No, I don't get anything for plugging Arbor Centre. I'm happy to do it because they're good. The best in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment